Nominations Now Open for 2014 Smart Growth Awards
November 4th, 2013 by Elaine Clisham
Nominations are now open for New Jersey Future’s 2014 Smart Growth Awards! Approved or built projects and adopted plans are all eligible for the awards, which are given to development initiatives throughout New Jersey that best exemplify the ideals of smart growth.
New this year is an addition to the considerations to reflect what the state has learned in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy: that we must take steps to ensure we’re more prepared for the next storm than we were for the last one.
Entries will be judged by an independent panel of experts in various aspects of growth and development, against the following considerations:
- They are near existing development and infrastructure
- They create or enhance connections to existing developments or plans
- They create or enhance a vibrant mix of uses (residential, retail, office)
- They protect or enhance open space, farmland, parks and critical environmental areas
- They increase the range of housing options available
- They create or enhance transportation choices
- Their designs foster walkability and activities at the street level that encourage personal interaction
- They improve resiliency to natural hazards
- They respect community character, design and historic features
- They utilize green or regenerative design techniques and materials.
All 2014 entries must be postmarked by Friday, Jan. 17, 2014. Winners will be honored at New Jersey Future’s annual Smart Growth Awards celebration Thursday, June 5, 2014, at the Metropolitan Room at the Newark Club in Newark.
Information on all previous winners is available on the Smart Growth section of our website.