History and Accomplishments
New Jersey Future is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that brings together concerned citizens and leaders to promote responsible land-use policies. The organization employs original research, analysis and advocacy to build coalitions and drive land-use policies that help revitalize cities and towns, protect natural lands and farms, provide more transportation choices beyond cars, expand access to safe and affordable neighborhoods and fuel a prosperous economy.
New Jersey Future was founded in 1987 by senior corporate, civic and environmental leaders to advance smarter land-use and growth policies. Today, our nonprofit nonpartisan organization offers a strong voice on policies for curbing sprawl and spurring community redevelopment. New Jersey Future members include citizens, corporations and foundations. Our policy work is directed by our Board of Trustees, including several founding members. Our staff is headed by Peter Kasabach. New Jersey Future is a member of Smart Growth America, a national coalition of state and regional smart growth organizations.
New Jersey Future has:
- Served as chief advocate for the adoption and implementation of the State Development and Redevelopment Plan, New Jersey’s smart growth blueprint for revitalizing communities and protecting natural resources.
- Advanced the adoption of new laws for protecting the environment and encouraging smarter growth, including the Highlands Water Protection Act and Transfer of Development Rights.
- Created a Smart Growth Awards program to recognize annually the best in development and preservation efforts across the state.
- Launched the nation’s first Sustainable State process, bringing together a wide range of citizens and experts to identify solutions to the most pressing issues facing our state environmentally, economically and socially.
- Taken legal action to stop sprawl and promote affordable housing. We have been granted “friend of the court” status in testifying on the intricacies of the State Plan.