Cities and Towns
Smart growth means taking advantage of infrastructure that already exists, capitalizing on the streets and sidewalks, the water pipes and sewer systems, the central business districts, the residential neighborhoods, the parks and recreational facilities that give established cities and towns their distinct identities and attractions.
Directing future investment to these centers, both large and small, will ensure that we use our land most efficiently and effectively, preserve the surrounding open space and halt the spread of suburban sprawl. Revitalizing our urban areas through redevelopment, and enhancing our towns by preserving community character, design and historic features, and creating walkable spaces, a vibrant mix of uses and a range of housing options, will make New Jersey a truly sustainable state..
The fragmented nature of New Jersey’s school districts, and the way they are funded, give rise to unintended negative land-use consequences. Regionalization of school districts could mitigate that.
Reports show that lead has been found in at least one drinking water outlet in 137 public schools in New Jersey. Our interactive map shows where, and how many.
The emphasis at the Jersey Water Works membership meeting was on collaboration to accomplish the work, and on treating water wholistically as a resource, in all its forms.
The communities of Byram, Hammonton and Newton have been selected as pilot towns for New Jersey Future’s Mainstreaming Green Infrastructure project.
Gloucester City, Jersey City, and Perth Amboy will receive technical assistance and engineering support services to design innovative, financeable projects that reduce combined sewer outflows (CSOs) while also making neighborhoods and downtowns better places to live, work, and invest.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the City of Trenton are preparing to present their plans to restore the Assunpink Creek at a Sept. 15 meeting.
How can New Jersey turn this urban water infrastructure crisis into an opportunity for long-term prosperity. August 2014.
This report and related case studies summarize the state of urban water infrastructure in New Jersey and how it affects residents and businesses. May 2014.
Strong Towns’ Chuck Marohn will visit Hackensack April 13, 2016, to deliver a presentation on ways to invest for community resiliency and prosperity.
In this report, New Jersey Future analyzed housing affordability in each New Jersey municipality, to see where households headed by someone 65 or older have high housing costs. The places where housing cost burden is greatest fall into two groups: towns that are expensive for everyone, and towns that are dominated by larger, single-family housing stock. December 2015.
Reports, Presentations and Testimony
- Strategic Recovery Planning Report Maurice River 05-2015
- Strategic Recovery Planning Report Commercial 12-2015
- 2013 Facing Our Future Report - Infrastructure Investments Necessary for Economic Success - Links to Water Infrastructure Resources
- League of Municipalities Article on Aging in Community April 2016
- New Jersey Future report to NJDEP re Liberty State Park 02-04-15
- Final Jersey City to Proacitvely Test Water Supply Press Release %282%29
- 2013 Facing Our Future Report - Infrastructure Investments Necessary for Economic Success
- Can We Depend on Our Water Infrastructure?
- 2014-11-18_Trenton Green Infrastructure Feasibility Study.compressed
- New Jersey Future Stormwater Utilities Report 9-14 (Intern Report)
- Roxanne Qualls presentation on Cincinnati
- Agenda for Change
- Case Study: Paterson
- Case Study: Jersey City
- Case Study: Hoboken
- Case Study: Camden
- Ripple Effects
- Van Abs: Water Infrastructure in New Jersey's CSO Cities
- 02/17/2014 - Creating Places To Age in New Jersey Municipal Best Practices
- Creating Places To Age in New Jersey municipal data
- Creating Places To Age Bergen-Passaic Supplement
- NJFuture Cluster Presentation I Open for Municipalities
- 04/29/2013: Sandy Recovery Action Plan Doesn't Commit to Resiliency Planning, Sustainability
- 04/25/2013: A3680 Economic Opportunity Act
- 03/19/2013: New Jersey Future CDBG-DR comments
- 3/11/2013: Economic Investments Strategically and Avoid Subsidizing Sprawl
- How Clustering Works
- Statutory and Regulatory Barriers to Green Infrastructure in New Jersey 1-13 (Intern Report)
- Somerset County Investment Framework 1-13 (Intern Report)
- Targeting Transit -- New Jersey Future
- Innovation Districts as Economic Growth Strategy 9-12 (Intern Report)
- Wastewater Planning County Fact Sheets
- 03/31/2011: Letter Supporting Vertical GDP Bill after Conditional Veto
- 12/10/2010: Testimony Supporting Vertical GDP and Mixed Use Transit Hubs
- Case Studies of Non-Contiguous Clustering in New Jersey 04-12
- 04/02/2012: NJFuture Comments to State Planning Commission on Draft State Strategic Plan
- Leinberger in the League Magazin
- 01/17/2012: Reaction to State of the State Address
- 11/30/2011: Coalition Statement on Grow NJ Bill
- 11/21/2011: A4128, the "Adaptive Approval" bill
- Financial Benefits of Density in Two New Jersey Downtowns 7-11 (Intern report)
- 11/11/2011: Statement: On S2950 A4128, the Adaptive Approval bill
- 10/18/2011: Comments: Proposed Amendments to BPU Main Extension Rules
- Route 1 Planning Through Partnerships
- Transit-Oriented Development Workshop for HCDNNJ memb mtg 06-15-2011
- 05/07/2009 Testimony on Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit Act
- 12-14-2010 Testimony on Historic Property Reinvestment Act
- Transfer of Development Rights Task Force Report 08-11-10
- Municipal Resource Conservation Assessment 06-01
- Case Study Hopewell Township 08-00
- Presentation: Land Preservation Using Off-site Clustering 03-19-11
- Impact Fees 01-04
- Historic Preservation 03-05
- Climate Change and Land Use 10-08
- Brownfields Redevelopment 01-08
- A Citizen's Guide to Transit-Oriented Development
- Chasing Their Tails: Municipal Ratables Chase Doesn't Necessarily Pay 07-10
- Race to the Middle: The Homogenization of New Jersey's Population Density
- Moving Out: New Jersey's Population Growth and Migration Patterns
- Realistic Opportunity? The Distribution of Affordable Housing and Jobs in New Jersey
- Getting to Work 11-08
- Built Out Permit Activity 12-10
- Built Out 12-10