Housing and Equity
New Jersey’s current approach to housing has resulted in concentrated poverty in urban areas and reduced opportunities for families with modest incomes to live near where they work, since jobs have systematically been spreading across our suburban landscape instead of being focused in areas where public transportation exists or where we have already invested in infrastructure. Moving forward, New Jersey will need to leverage market forces and public policy to create housing opportunities for lower-income households in high-opportunity places, especially near transit. Simultaneously, the state’s housing and investment policies should support the strategic rebuilding of weak markets to create vibrant, mixed-income communities.
The Central Jersey Housing Resource Center honored New Jersey Future with its Outstanding Achievement in Affordable Housing Award.
Concerns over Gov. Christie’s Sandy Recovery Action Plan include insufficient funds for planning, too little assistance for low-income renters.
At this Redevelopment Forum session, speakers emphasized that changing demographics will mean municipalities will need to plan for changing housing needs.
The founding director of the Housing and Community Development Network of New Jersey will receive this year’s Cary Edwards Leadership Award.
Four innovative projects and three visionary plans comprise the list of winners of New Jersey Future’s 2013 Smart Growth Awards.
Four innovative projects, two visionary plans and a statewide policy are winners of New Jersey Future’s 2013 Smart Growth Awards. Diane Sterner receives the Cary Edwards Leadership Award.
Two plans, an innovative zoning code, a feasibility study and three projects are winners of New Jersey Future’s 2012 Smart Growth Awards. Joseph M. Taylor receives the Cary Edwards Leadership Award.
Jan. 13, 2013 — Two of the most successful and popular economic incentive programs – the Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit and the Economic Redevelopment and Growth program – are proposed to change. One of the strongest themes that run through these two programs is that they have powerful smart-growth location-based criteria that provide incentives for businesses to grow in places with the appropriate infrastructure and not in places with important environmental features or that will be more costly for the state.
2013 Smart Growth Awards: Diane Sterner, the founding executive director of the Housing and Community Development Network of New Jersey is the recipient of the 2013 Cary Edwards Leadership Award.
Nov. 30, 2011 — The New Jersey Assembly will be considering passage of a bill (A4306) that, in its current form, will undermine the goals of the State’s Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit (UTHTC) program and weaken the state’s long-term economic competitiveness. The bill should be amended to avoid the erosion of the UTHTC program’s capacity to level the playing field between urban and suburban markets and ensure that the development the program boosts is truly transit-oriented.
Reports, Presentations and Testimony
- 03/19/2013: New Jersey Future CDBG-DR comments
- Targeting Transit -- New Jersey Future
- 04/29/2013: Sandy Recovery Action Plan Doesn't Commit to Resiliency Planning, Sustainability
- 04/25/2013: A3680 Economic Opportunity Act
- Route 1 Planning Through Partnerships
- 04/02/2012: NJFuture Comments to State Planning Commission on Draft State Strategic Plan
- 03/31/2011: Letter Supporting Vertical GDP Bill after Conditional Veto
- 05-2009 Smart Housing Incentives Act - Summary
- 11/13/2012: S2245 To Support Investment in New Jersey’s Distressed Neighborhoods
- 3/11/2013: Economic Investments Strategically and Avoid Subsidizing Sprawl
- 06/17/2011: Amicus brief: Mount Laurel
- 12-10-2010: Testimony: Amendments to Assembly Affordable Housing Bill A3447
- 11-08-2010 Testimony on Assembly Affordable Housing Bill A3447
- 03-08-2010 Statement on Senate Affordable Housing Bill S1
- 03-15-2010 Statement Opposing Senate Affordable Housing Bill S1
- 03-05-2010 Statement to Housing Opportunity Task Force
- 02-01-2010 Statement on Senate Affordable Housing Bill S1
- 05-18-2009 Testimony on Smart Housing Incentives Act
- Getting to Work 11-08
- Affordable Housing Policy 10-04
- Race to the Middle: The Homogenization of New Jersey's Population Density
- Realistic Opportunity? The Distribution of Affordable Housing and Jobs in New Jersey