Redevelopment is reinvestment in neighborhoods and commercial areas to replace or repair previously developed buildings or plots of land that are in substandard condition or are no longer useful in their current state.
Redevelopment sites can be found in urban, suburban and rural locations, as well as on “brownfields” that may be contaminated by a previous industrial use. Redevelopment is a core component of smart growth in that it promotes development in existing communities with infrastructure and away from critical environmental lands and resources.
In New Jersey, redevelopment may be publicly or privately initiated, but it is often associated with the procedures and activities of municipalities as permitted by the Local Redevelopment and Housing Law, including the “clearance, re-planning, development and redevelopment” of an area in accordance with an adopted municipal redevelopment plan.
Somerset County is analyzing where to invest for growth and how to retrofit obsolete suburban office parks now that employers are once again focusing on transit-accessible locations.
The New Jersey Dept. of Community Affairs is making $5 million in federal disaster recovery funds available to municipalities for resiliency planning.
The revitalization of New Jersey’s cities and centers mean that investments in infrastructure will need to focus on reinvestment and innovation for sustainability.
A bill introduced in the House of Representatives by several New Jersey legislators would, if passed, direct additional aid to Sandy-stricken communities in the state.
We mourn the passing of a true champion of smart growth in the Garden State.
New Jersey has 243 transit facilities, ranging from small single-track stations to major multi-line hubs. The unique characteristics of each station, of its immediate neighborhood, and of its surrounding municipality mean that a wide variety of development strategies should be brought to bear in order to maximize each location’s potential. This report shows how data assembled by New Jersey Future can be used to make decisions on how to target various kinds of transit-oriented development efforts. September 2012.
Four innovative projects, two visionary plans and a statewide policy are winners of New Jersey Future’s 2013 Smart Growth Awards. Diane Sterner receives the Cary Edwards Leadership Award.
The devastation from Hurricane Sandy created a wake-up call on the need to rebuild the Jersey shore in a way that respects nature and protects people, properties and public investments. Come hear expert speakers address key topics, and share your opinion on how we can restore a thriving, healthy and resilient coastal region.
Two plans, an innovative zoning code, a feasibility study and three projects are winners of New Jersey Future’s 2012 Smart Growth Awards. Joseph M. Taylor receives the Cary Edwards Leadership Award.
2013 Smart Growth Awards: Diane Sterner, the founding executive director of the Housing and Community Development Network of New Jersey is the recipient of the 2013 Cary Edwards Leadership Award.
Reports, Presentations and Testimony
- 03/19/2013: New Jersey Future CDBG-DR comments
- Built Out 12-10
- Built Out Permit Activity 12-10
- 04/02/2012: NJFuture Comments to State Planning Commission on Draft State Strategic Plan
- 12/10/2010: Testimony Supporting Vertical GDP and Mixed Use Transit Hubs
- 03/31/2011: Letter Supporting Vertical GDP Bill after Conditional Veto
- Wastewater Planning County Fact Sheets
- Innovation Districts as Economic Growth Strategy 9-12 (Intern Report)
- Somerset County Investment Framework 1-13 (Intern Report)
- Statutory and Regulatory Barriers to Green Infrastructure in New Jersey 1-13 (Intern Report)
- 3/11/2013: Economic Investments Strategically and Avoid Subsidizing Sprawl
- 01/17/2012: Reaction to State of the State Address
- 04/25/2013: A3680 Economic Opportunity Act
- Leinberger in the League Magazin
- 11/30/2011: Coalition Statement on Grow NJ Bill
- Executive Order-78
- 10/18/2011: Comments: Proposed Amendments to BPU Main Extension Rules
- Targeting Transit -- New Jersey Future
- 12-14-2010 Testimony on Historic Property Reinvestment Act
- Transfer of Development Rights Task Force Report 08-11-10
- Chasing Their Tails: Municipal Ratables Chase Doesn't Necessarily Pay 07-10
- 06/15/2009 Testimony re Adoption of Amended Stimulus Bill
- Climate Change and Land Use 10-08
- Brownfields Redevelopment 01-08
- Historic Preservation 03-05
- Impact Fees 01-04