Recognizing the need for better land-use decisions, and the limitations of effective municipal governance, the New Jersey Legislature has passed an impressive succession of laws to promote regional planning.
Through these efforts, the Legislature showed its willingness to retrieve powers it had earlier delegated to the municipalities under the Municipal Land Use Law and other statutes in order to transform land-use governance in specific locations. The most significant statutes in this series are: Hackensack Meadowlands Development Act (1969), the Pinelands Protection Act (1979) and the Highlands Water Protection and Planning Act (2004). Together these regional areas comprise 2,800 square miles, or 37 percent of the state’s land area. Regional planning occurs in a less comprehensive manner on the county level, authorized by the New Jersey County Planning Enabling Act (1935). Other groups of municipalities have formed voluntary regional planning organizations in areas including the Sourland Mountain Area and the Great Swamp Watershed.
In 2012, after Hurricane Sandy devastated the New Jersey Shore, that area became a new focus for conversations around regional planning. To help inform the discussion, New Jersey Future has built a resource page focused on rebuilding a resilient shore.
A new report card on preparedness for climate change gives New Jersey a low grade for failing to put plans in place to mitigate future risks.
New Jersey Future recently submitted comments on two Rebuild By Design resiliency projects, emphasizing the need to incorporate climate projections into planning, and to develop a robust public-engagement plan.
A new report examines successes and lessons learned from the groundbreaking local-recovery program piloted by New Jersey Future in six Sandy-affected towns.
Former State Planning Commission Chairman and current New Jersey Future Trustee Jim Gilbert will be presented with the New Jersey Planning Officials’ Lifetime Achievement Award.
The Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission, one of 25 cities and utilities to receive DEP permits that require controlling sewage overflows, is the first to to indicate it will go above minimum requirements.
Both the drafting and the signing of such ill-constructed, vague and contradictory legislation is regrettable, and puts progress on many fronts at risk. February 2015.
A one-hour webinar explaining a new, parcel-based tool that assesses financial vulnerability to coastal flooding and sea-level rise. Friday, May 15, 2015, noon – 1:00 pm.
An interim report, three years after Hurricane Sandy, on New Jersey Future’s groundbreaking local recovery planning manager program, including lessons learned and recommendations. October 2015.
April 1, 2014 — Three different types of housing developments; two plans to revitalize fading downtowns; a plan that transformed an industrial riverfront into a premier urban asset; a project that will serve as an anchor of hope to its surrounding community; and a region-wide plan for smart economic growth are all winners of New Jersey Future’s 2014 Smart Growth Awards
An afternoon symposium Oct. 30, 2014, in conjunction with the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, focuses on how to advance, and pay for, increased resilience in the wake of Superstorm Sandy. Approved for 2 AICP CM credits.
Reports, Presentations and Testimony
- 10/09/2015: Comments on Hudson River Rebuild by Design Project
- 10/09/15: Comments on NJ's Phase 2 application to NDRC
- Recommendations on Unmet Needs, NJF, 12-27-13
- Planning Needs Description New Jersey Future 5-31-13
- Sample Local Recovery Planning Manager Resolution of Engagement
- Sample Local Recovery Planning Manager Memorandum of Agreement
- Risk analysis public mtg presentation Tuckerton-Little Egg Harbor 4-14-15
- Strategic Recovery Planning Report Tuckerton 4-15-15
- Local Recovery Planning Manager Scope of Services Tuckerton-Little Egg Harbor 1-31-14
- 08/31/2015: Hudson River RBD Project COP Comments
- 03/16/2015: New Jersey Future testimony on A4196, Meadowlands 'cleanup' bill
- 03/06/2015: New Jersey Future NDRC Comments
- 02/24/2015: Letter to Senate Judiciary Committee re Pinelands Nominee
- 01/22/2015: New Jersey Future Comments on Meadowlands Bill
- 01/15/2015: New Jersey Future Action Plan Amendment 12 Comments
- 12/17/2014: New Jersey Future Plan Endorsement Extension Comments
- Sea Bright exposure analysis
- New Jersey Future Stormwater Utilities Report 9-14 (Intern Report)
- Roxanne Qualls presentation on Cincinnati
- 08/01/2014: Rule Proposal: DEP Docket No. 03-14-04
- New Jersey Future Van Abs 2014 Pinelands Growth Area Water Assessment
- Agenda for Change
- 04/11/2014: Letter of comment on the Draft 2014 State HMP
- 03/05/2014: Sandy Action Plan Amendment Planning Letter
- 03/05/2014: Sandy Action Plan Amendment Resiliency Letter
- 02/12/2014: Testimony on Proposed Sandy Plan Still Puts Taxpayer Dollars at Risk
- Superstorm Sandy A Live Town Hall
- 04/29/2013: Sandy Recovery Action Plan Doesn't Commit to Resiliency Planning, Sustainability
- Agenda Invitation Dunes Dunes and More Dough May 8 2013
- Hazard Mitigation Grant Program - Request for Public Comment
- Sandy Recovery Action Plan Selected Comments
- Somerset County Investment Framework 1-13 (Intern Report)
- NJ Shore Protection Master Plan 1981 vol 3 Comments
- NJ Shore Protection Master Plan 1981 vol 2 Basis and Background
- NJ Shore Protection Master Plan 1981 vol 1 Part II
- NJ Shore Protection Master Plan 1981 vol 1 Part I
- Targeting Transit -- New Jersey Future
- Wastewater Planning County Fact Sheets
- County Planning in New Jersey 4-12 (Intern report)
- 01/05/2012: Statement on A4422-Permit Extension Act
- Cluster Presentation - NJ Farm Bureau 1-4-2012
- DKennedy State Strategic Plan APA-NJ 11-4-2011
- BBzik State Strategic Plan Somerset County Perspective 11-4-2011
- Smart Growth NJ August 2011 Poll Report
- 07/22/2011: Statement: Highlands Council
- Route 1 Planning Through Partnerships
- ShapingNJ Community Pilot Meeting Overview 06-09-11
- Case Studies in Transfer of Development Rights 8-10 (Intern report)
- 12/15/2010: Highlands letter to Governor
- Sheehan-Mans JOINT STATEMENT ON ARC TUNNEL
- Pocino statement on ARC 10 08 10
- ARC Information Sheet 9-10
- 05/07/2009 Testimony on Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit Act
- 04-03-2009 Letter to DEP re Global Warming Solutions Fund Rules
- 06/16/2011: Testimony: Keep Meadowlands Tax-Sharing Agreement
- 06/06/2011: Testimony: Keep Meadowlands Tax-Sharing Agreement
- Transfer of Development Rights Task Force Report 08-11-10
- ARC Support Letter to Christie 09-14-10
- Case Study Hopewell Township 08-00
- Presentation: The Status of Transfer of Development Rights in New Jersey 12-10
- Presentation: Reining In Local Budgets 05-10
- Making Wildlife Protection a Reality 11-05
- Property Tax Reform and Land Use 07-06
- A New Vision for the Highlands 02-04
- Success in the Highlands 05-05
- Smart Conservation: The "Green" Side of Smart Growth
- Race to the Middle: The Homogenization of New Jersey's Population Density
- Realistic Opportunity? The Distribution of Affordable Housing and Jobs in New Jersey
- Getting to Work 11-08