Where and how we grow is fundamental to New Jersey’s economic prosperity, environmental health and social equity.
In 1986, recognizing the critical role the state must play in directing future growth and aligning resources accordingly, New Jersey adopted the State Planning Act — a groundbreaking effort to coordinate land-use planning among state agencies and different levels of government. The act mandated the creation of the State Development and Redevelopment Plan (the “State Plan”), as well as the formation of the State Planning Commission and its staff, now housed at the Office of Planning Advocacy in the Department of State.
But 20 years’ experience with state planning has produced mixed results. The State Plan vision for strong communities and preserved open lands is widely shared and has helped shape development patterns. But, for a variety of reasons, the Plan has not been fully implemented by either state agencies or municipalities. In response, in early 2011 the Christie administration began a process that culminated in October 2011 in the release of a proposed a new State Plan update called the State Strategic Plan.
See the latest information on the State Strategic Plan, including the latest draft of the Plan, statements from New Jersey Future, press coverage and analysis, and links to upcoming meetings and to state agency implementation steps.
The new HUD Sandy funding notice focuses on infrastructure and requires forward-looking risk assessments, including considerations of climate change.
Nominations are now open for New Jersey Future’s 2014 Smart Growth Awards. Winners will be honored at our annual celebration June 5, 2014.
A day-long conference examined future risks from severe weather, and the steps New Jersey needs to take in order to be better protected.
This is the latest in a series of articles from our friends at NJ Spotlight laying out the critical policy challenges that the next governor and Legislature will face, as well as their positions on these issues.
This is the second in a series of articles from our friends at NJ Spotlight laying out the critical policy challenges that the next governor and Legislature will face, as well as their positions on these issues.
A conference on the first anniversary of Superstorm Sandy examines the rebuilding progress made to date, and the work still left to do.
A gathering on the anniversary of Superstorm Sandy to connect with others involved in rebuilding the Jersey Shore.
Oct. 15, 2013 — New Jersey is the most intensively developed state in the country. In 1986, recognizing the critical role the state must play in directing future growth and aligning resources accordingly, New Jersey passed the State Planning Act — a groundbreaking effort to coordinate land-use planning across state agencies and different levels of government.
Oct. 18, 2013 — One of the most difficult things successful political leaders must do is to make decisions on behalf of their constituents that might be politically unpopular in the short term, but help to secure a more stable future for generations to come. New Jersey’s current economic stagnation brings this challenge into sharp focus: How can we invest the state’s limited funds strategically in ways that respect immediate budget needs but make the state more prosperous and globally competitive for the long term?
Call for entries for the 2014 Smart Growth Awards. The awards celebration is June 5, 2014, in Newark.
Reports, Presentations and Testimony
- Targeting Transit -- New Jersey Future
- 01/17/2012: Reaction to State of the State Address
- 04/02/2012: NJFuture Comments to State Planning Commission on Draft State Strategic Plan
- Wastewater Planning County Fact Sheets
- State Strategic Plan Public Hearings Announcement 8-3-12
- Innovation Districts as Economic Growth Strategy 9-12 (Intern Report)
- 11/09/2012: Statement on Final Draft State Strategic Plan
- Somerset County Investment Framework 1-13 (Intern Report)
- 11/30/2011: Coalition Statement on Grow NJ Bill
- BBzik State Strategic Plan Somerset County Perspective 11-4-2011
- Smart Growth NJ August 2011 Poll Report
- DKennedy State Strategic Plan APA-NJ 11-4-2011
- 11/11/2011: Statement: Recommendations to the State Planning Commission
- 11/14/2011: State Planning Act-State Strategic Plan Consistency Review
- Executive Order-78
- Best Practices in State and Regional Planning 5-11 (Intern report)
- 03-05-2010 Statement to Housing Opportunity Task Force
- Presentation: New Jersey's State Plan: Where We Are and What's Next 11-09
- Planning Ahead 11-09
- Where Are We Growing? State Plan Forum summary 10-09
- Presentation: Proposal for State Planning Commission 10-09
- 06-11-2009 Letter to Gov Corzine re State Plan and Planning Commission
- 04-22-2009 Letter to State Planning Commission on Draft State Plan
- 04-13-2009 Letter re Spending of Stimulus Funds
- 04-07-2009 Common Ground Statement of Principles on Federal Stimulus
- Getting to Work 11-08
- Property Tax Reform and Land Use 07-06
- Affordable Housing Policy 10-04
- Race to the Middle: The Homogenization of New Jersey's Population Density
- Smart Conservation: The "Green" Side of Smart Growth
- Realistic Opportunity? The Distribution of Affordable Housing and Jobs in New Jersey