2011 News Release Archive
- Coalition of Planning Advocates Calls for Amendments to NJ Economic Development bill
Nov. 30, 2011 -- The New Jersey Assembly will be considering passage of a bill (A4306) that, in its current form, will undermine the goals of the State’s Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit (UTHTC) program and weaken the state’s long-term economic competitiveness. The bill should be amended to avoid the erosion of the UTHTC program’s capacity to level the playing field between urban and suburban markets and ensure that the development the program boosts is truly transit-oriented.
- New Jersey Future Honors Brendan Byrne
November 22, 2011 -- Brendan T. Byrne — whose governorship was marked by landmark measures that protected the Pinelands, enhanced mass transit and promoted urban revitalization — was honored by New Jersey Future at a reception at the Morven Museum & Gardens on Nov. 20.
- North Jersey Receives $5 Million Federal Grant To Boost Growth Around Transit
New Jersey Future is pleased to be part of the project team that will manage a $5 million HUD Sustainable Communities Regional Planning Grant award, announced today by Secretary Shaun Donovan.
- New Jersey Future to Honor Brendan Byrne
November 14, 2011 -- Brendan T. Byrne — whose governorship was marked by landmark measures that protected the Pinelands, enhanced mass transit and promoted urban revitalization — will be honored by New Jersey Future at a reception at the Morven Museum & Gardens on Nov. 20 from 4 to 6 p.m.
- New Jersey Future Welcomes Three New Board Members
Oct. 26, 2011-- New Jersey Future Welcomes Three New Board Members
- New Jerseyans Support Statewide Planning and Water Quality Protection
Oct. 11, 2011 -- A new statewide poll commissioned in part by New Jersey Future shows that New Jersey residents think the way the state has developed over the last 20 years has made it less affordable and more difficult to travel. They support more compact communities with greater transportation choices, protection of critical resources like drinking water, and regional coordination of land-use planning efforts.
- Land-Use Study Finds Increase in Exclusionary Zoning, Sprawl
July, 7, 2011 -- A new study finds that municipal zoning in New Jersey has resulted in a land-use pattern that is substantially more exclusionary and more sprawling now than it was in 1970.
- Governor's Reorganization Plan Supports State Planning Commission Mission
June 30, 2011 -- The governor’s proposal to move the State Planning Commission to the Department of State places it in a much better position to fulfill one of its missions.
- A Dozen Nonprofits Press State Supreme Court to Affirm Key Aspects of the Mount Laurel Doctrine
June 20, 2011 -- A broad coalition urged the New Jersey Supreme Court to affirm key aspects of the Mount Laurel doctrine to ensure the availability of housing that is affordable to all the residents of the state.
- Response to Announcement Regarding Participation in Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative
May 26, 2011 -- New Jersey Future and American Planning Association-NJ Chapter response to announcement that Governor Christie wants to withdraw from the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RRGI).
- National Report Shows 1 in 5 Traffic Deaths in NJ are Pedestrians
May 24, 2011 -- A new report highlights road design as a major contributor to pedestrian and cycling dangers in New Jersey.
- New Jersey Future Announces 10th Anniversary Smart Growth Award-Winners
April 20, 2011 -- Seven projects and 17 honorees will receive Smart Growth Awards for initiatives ranging from a new village center in Byram Township to an inter-municipal affordable housing project in Pilesgrove Township and Woodstown Borough to an innovative recycling complex in Woodbridge.
- Wastewater Planning Faces an Uncertain Future
April 8, 2011 -- Department of Environmental Protection’s one-year extension ends for the submission of wastewater management plans under its Water Quality Management Planning (WQMP) rule, raising concern about how this program will advance.
- Response to New Jersey Supreme Court Housing Decision
March 31, 2011 -- Statement regarding decision by the Supreme Court of New Jersey to review the Oct. 8, 2010 Appellate Division ruling that invalidated the Council on Affordable Housing’s “third-round” regulations.
- New Jersey Future Forum Focuses on Redevelopment in a Challenging Economy
Feb. 22, 2011 -- New Jersey Future's 2011 Redevelopment Forum will focus on how to position the state for economic growth as it emerges from the Great Recession.
- State Planning Commission Appointments Hailed by New Jersey Future
Jan. 6, 2011 -- Gov. Christie names appointees to five of six planning commission seats available to executive branch, assuring a quorum.
- Response to Plan for Replenishing Transportaton Trust Fund
Jan. 6, 2011 -- New Jersey's transportation trust fund should be funded from a stable and sustainable source, and the governor's proposal represents an opportunity to focus on outcomes and to evaluate how the state funds its entire transportation system.
- Wachovia Wells Fargo Foundation Supports New Jersey Future
Jan. 5, 2011 -- A gift from the foundation will enable New Jersey Future to refine a sustainable land-use toolkit and test it in various municipalities throughout the state.