2012 Smart Growth Award Winners
Read about this year’s Smart Growth Award winners, representing the best in smart growth and sustainable development projects around the state.
- Panasonic North America Chairman Taylor Wins Leadership Award
2012 Smart Growth Award: Joseph M. Taylor, chairman and chief executive officer of Panasonic North America, has exhibited exceptional leadership and vision in choosing to relocate his company's headquarters to downtown Newark.
- A Shopping Center Is Transformed in Somerdale
2012 Smart Growth Award: A struggling shopping center in a distressed suburb becomes a mixed-use community center creatively linked to other community assets.
- Vanguard of New Brunswick's Transit-Oriented Revitalization
2012 Smart Growth Award: A multi-partner transit-oriented development that stands as a vanguard for further revitalization in downtown New Brunswick.
- An Innovative Participatory Plan in Hammonton
2012 Smart Growth Award: The process of developing an innovative zoning code brings the town of Hammonton together in new ways.
- From Brownfield to Transit-Oriented Development in Harrison
2012 Smart Growth Award: The first project to be completed as part of Harrison's redevelopment plan offers rental residences, outdoor spaces, shops and walkability, all within easy reach of transit.
- A University-Neighborhood Revitalization Partnership in Jersey City
2012 Smart Growth Award: A partnership between St. Peter's University and the city of Jersey City will bring housing, retail and entertainment to McGinley Square.
- Bringing New Housing Options to Newark Neighborhoods
2012 Smart Growth Award: A series of projects display a range of approaches to affordable housing and neighborhood revitalization in Newark.