2013 Smart Growth Award Winners
Read about this year’s Smart Growth Award winners, representing the best in smart growth and sustainable development projects around the state.
- Network Founding Executive Director Sterner Wins Leadership Award
2013 Smart Growth Awards: Diane Sterner, the founding executive director of the Housing and Community Development Network of New Jersey is the recipient of the 2013 Cary Edwards Leadership Award.
- Transforming the State’s Streets
2013 Smart Growth Awards: A comprehensive policy, along with a strong outreach effort, is helping the State of New Jersey and its municipalities re-envision streets in order to consider the needs of all users.
- From Church to Office and Community Space
2013 Smart Growth Awards: When a large church in a residential neighborhood in Montclair was about to become vacant, a plan was put together to re-purpose the building and allow the congregation to stay.
- Re-Imagining a Neighborhood From the Ground Up
2013 Smart Growth Awards: Through a resident-led process, an obsolete public-housing site in Jersey City will be transformed into a vibrant, mixed-use neighborhood.
- Getting Around Passaic County, for Everyone
2013 Smart Growth Awards: A holistically integrated transportation plan for the county of Passaic that accommodates much more than just drivers.
- A High-Water Mark(et) in Pequannock Township
2013 Smart Growth Awards: An innovative strategy to buy out flood-prone properties and transform them into riverfront recreational space.
- Education as a Revitalization Agent in Newark
2013 Smart Growth Awards: A broad partnership and innovative financing combine to revitalize a Newark neighborhood, using education as the anchor.
- Multiple Challenges, a Unifying Solution for a Neighborhood in Camden
2013 Smart Growth Awards: A run-down housing project, a brownfield site and an abandoned office building in a Camden neighborhood get woven back into a community and re-connected with local assets.