New Jersey would like to increase the amount of money that comes into the state in order to provide employment opportunities and an increased quality of life for its residents. Much of the state’s economic development and growth is supported by public infrastructure.
The state can play an important role in economic development by directing economic activities into places where infrastructure already exists, thereby minimizing the public subsidy necessary to support these activities and reducing the cost to businesses to build facilities, transport goods, connect with suppliers, customers and partners, and access employees.
The differing needs that ports have from their host municipalities leads to an ongoing balancing act across multiple jurisdictions.
The founding director of the Housing and Community Development Network of New Jersey will receive this year’s Cary Edwards Leadership Award.
Four innovative projects and three visionary plans comprise the list of winners of New Jersey Future’s 2013 Smart Growth Awards.
A new bill streamlines New Jersey’s portfolio of economic incentives, but unless it is amended it will go too far toward subsidizing sprawl development.
New report looks at Somerset County’s efforts to align its planning and economic development efforts with the draft State Strategic Plan.
The devastation from Hurricane Sandy created a wake-up call on the need to rebuild the Jersey shore in a way that respects nature and protects people, properties and public investments. Come hear expert speakers address key topics, and share your opinion on how we can restore a thriving, healthy and resilient coastal region.
Jan. 13, 2013 — Two of the most successful and popular economic incentive programs – the Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit and the Economic Redevelopment and Growth program – are proposed to change. One of the strongest themes that run through these two programs is that they have powerful smart-growth location-based criteria that provide incentives for businesses to grow in places with the appropriate infrastructure and not in places with important environmental features or that will be more costly for the state.
2013 Smart Growth Awards: Diane Sterner, the founding executive director of the Housing and Community Development Network of New Jersey is the recipient of the 2013 Cary Edwards Leadership Award.
Nov. 30, 2011 — The New Jersey Assembly will be considering passage of a bill (A4306) that, in its current form, will undermine the goals of the State’s Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit (UTHTC) program and weaken the state’s long-term economic competitiveness. The bill should be amended to avoid the erosion of the UTHTC program’s capacity to level the playing field between urban and suburban markets and ensure that the development the program boosts is truly transit-oriented.
New Jersey Future is pleased to be part of the project team that will manage a $5 million HUD Sustainable Communities Regional Planning Grant award, announced today by Secretary Shaun Donovan.
Reports, Presentations and Testimony
- 11/30/2011: Coalition Statement on Grow NJ Bill
- 04/29/2013: Sandy Recovery Action Plan Doesn't Commit to Resiliency Planning, Sustainability
- 04/25/2013: A3680 Economic Opportunity Act
- 01/17/2012: Reaction to State of the State Address
- Targeting Transit -- New Jersey Future
- 04/02/2012: NJFuture Comments to State Planning Commission on Draft State Strategic Plan
- 12/10/2010: Testimony Supporting Vertical GDP and Mixed Use Transit Hubs
- 03/31/2011: Letter Supporting Vertical GDP Bill after Conditional Veto
- Innovation Districts as Economic Growth Strategy 9-12 (Intern Report)
- Somerset County Investment Framework 1-13 (Intern Report)
- 3/11/2013: Economic Investments Strategically and Avoid Subsidizing Sprawl
- Route 1 Planning Through Partnerships
- A Citizen's Guide to Transit-Oriented Development
- 12-14-2010 Testimony on Historic Property Reinvestment Act
- 10-04-2010 Testimony on Transportation Trust Fund ARC Tunnel
- 09-20-2010 Testimony on ARC Tunnel
- ARC Information Sheet 9-10
- Chasing Their Tails: Municipal Ratables Chase Doesn't Necessarily Pay 07-10
- 05/07/2009 Testimony on Urban Transit Hub Tax Credit Act
- Getting to Work 11-08
- Sheehan-Mans JOINT STATEMENT ON ARC TUNNEL
- Pocino statement on ARC 10 08 10
- Brownfields Redevelopment 01-08
- Affordable Housing Policy 10-04
- Realistic Opportunity? The Distribution of Affordable Housing and Jobs in New Jersey
- Case Study Hopewell Township 08-00